Sunday, January 01, 2006

another year, another blog, another random ramble...

Hey y'all,

One year ago yesterday I started this blog. Its hard to believe it's been that long...even harder to believe how much things have changed since then. More and more I sense that life is kind of carrying me along with it, rather than allowing me to more or less have control. Perhaps that's just Gods way of trying to teach me some surrender and dependence right now. Then again perhaps that's just life.

We had a great Christmas...the day we spent alone (a wonderful contrast to our usual habit of either driving for 20+ hours to get somewhere or having a houseful of people for a week), but we had lots of parties with friends and family before, and so we enjoyed the peace. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved going to church that morning. Somehow the season just seemed weird to me this year. Fun, restful, but different. I had trouble getting into the christmas mood...singing and baking and seeing friends was a blast as always, but at times they lacked personal meaning. Anyway, something hit me like a major holiday wake up call that Christmas morning and by the time we hit the presents my heart was right and my spirit refreshed by the arrival of the tiny babe who is still chipping away at my heart.

We also got to visit our good friends Dennis and Donna in St. Louis this past week, we went shopping and saw their new house. It was awesome to re-connect and sit around a play games. We also ate at the best Italian restaraunt on the plannet, but that's another story.

Since today is also a sunday and our usual routine of staying up till all hours on new year's eve would not cut it for a saturday night, we held the annual new year's party at the Kneezels a night early. This not only totally threw off my calendar skills but made the party a few hours LONGER (if that was even possible) since we still stayed till midnight yesterday to count down and enjoy bubbly and fireworks on the deck. The families in our church are something very special...being with them is the safest feeling in the world. Jackie and I had a long talk about what it will be like in a few years when we all are married and have kids. Will we drag them along, raving about "what good friends these people are"...and will our children connect or sit and stare akwardly at each other while the parents talk? Idealy we will all live on the same street, our kids will be best friends, and yet another generation will grow up together...sharing everything from school homework to afternoon chores. But we all know that there may be a few hiccups in that plan. I hope though, that as we spread out and begin to make our own lives we will take the seasoning of this group with us. I hope that we can come close to building similar communities of believers wherever we are planted. I hope that with God's help, my own children will be supported and loved by so many wonderful people.

Well, there I go again, rambing as normal. The point is, Happy New Year everyone. See that horizon? Can you see past it? No, of course not...that's the point. It was extremely fitting that this morning our pastor preached a sermon on patience...trusting friends is the only way to live, to face that mountain range ahead, to enjoy the passing days without regretting their exit.



Blessings on your new year...praise him for his plans to use all of us to accomplish his purpose!!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Yes indeed.Amen to your last comments especially. Thanks for helping to cheer me up for this weekend.

I might have to warn my children, ya know, add a small disclaimer, before I introduce them to Aunt Morgie and Aunt Jackie. Haha. Oh, won't it be riotous? I'll look forward to THAT New Year's Party. My house. Bring some food. Heck. It'll start the day after Christmas, with dancing and bubbly all around.

"Bring me that horizon!"