Saturday, September 10, 2005

soccer moms, jones soda, Jerehmiah, and badminton...

random titles are my favorite part of these things...I mean where else can you come up with a list and stick them all together like they fit? Love that...

Today was bizzare...since mom and dad's lives were both dominated by choirs of various kinds I got to be a soccer mom for the day....toting TJ and casey to choir auditions, soccer games, and a birthday party. Good stuff. Also got to chill with casey and play tetris. she whooped me as normal...nice to know that not everything changes when you go to college.

Tonight we had a social for people from college world at the Johnsons...hoping to get a college group started at Riverside in the near future. It's odd to spend so much of your time in a tight knit youth group and then have to start a new group as a freshman...all new people...same needs. Interesting. Anyway, we had 10 or 12 people there, not bad for the first night...and several of the girls are coming to Riverside tomorrow. We played cards, a great game of badminton, and then watched the universal "youth hang out and laugh" movie...yep, Napoleon again. I think the first time was enough... oh, and the verdict on the green apple jones soda is that it gives me a tummy ache. :(

It's been a struggle trying to connect with people on campus...especially now that classes have started and people are getting tunnel visioned. But I am determined to stay dedicated. One of the girls I've started to get to know plays volleyball and went to Christ Lutheran in Buckley, one of the schools DCS played. Anyway, she lost her brother in a car wreck a year ago tomorrow....I am so thankful that she's able to go home and be with her family this weekend. I can't imagine being on a campus in her shoes. Being around her is a constant reminder to be greatful for every moment...and on the lookout for people who need an encouraging smile or a hand up. ...there are so many hurting people at Millikin...many of whom have no hope.

Jeremiah was an interesting dude...he had this amazing message for the people, but he questioned God a lot about whether or not he was to carry the burden. Among his complaints about the struggles, God keeps sending him prophesy so irresistable that he can't help but write them down right amidst his griping:

"If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.
I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze;
They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
For I am with you to rescue and save you" Jer. 15:19-20

Love you all and am praying for you---blessings...

No comments: