Monday, July 04, 2005

"it's a little bitty tiny one!"

For those of you who don't know, my sister is amazing. And as such, she has already documented, in much better grammarical structure than I ever could, our family vacation in all it's glory. ...and, chances are, most of you have already read it. However, I feel compelled to write something here since it was pretty cool.

hahaha....and MY enter key works...take that! :)

Umm...I got off my shift at the hospital at 6:30 and the family pulled out of the driveway around 10...just enough time to get to the deep sleep, not enough time to sleep off my exaustion. Oh well, I surrendered myself to the back seat and tried, unvictoriously, to get some shut eye. We arrived in Ohio about 5 and had an AWESOME night at the house of our good friends, the Yurchaks, who we haven't seen in 2 years. We sayed up till 4, made torches with spray deodorant and matches, raided the kitchen for icecream, made movies, laughed, cried...didn't sleep. We pulled reluctantly out of the driveway at 7, wishing we could stay to enjoy another day of the irreplaceable joy that is found in old friends. Luckily that morning I was able to sleep about an hour in the car. hehehe...fun times.

Williamsburg was tough to break into, but so cool in the end. My favorite things were the afternoon presentations of guys dressed in the period clothing, one as Patrick Henry and one as Thomas Jefferson. They were amazing, they knew so much, and had everything in their head, even the language of the day and the answers to politically slanted questions that they were asked. I learned a lot about early dreams for the country and it was amazing to see how their views on issues of their day corresponded with the same issues we have now. I wish that their logic and principles would be used a bit more in the current day. We saw DC in 6 hours...fun, but never do that. We are crazy and our feet prove it. YIKES! It was pretty neat to see all the great monuments right before the 4th of July. That's good stuff. We also spent a day on the beach and one in a water park which was great fun for all of us, but especially TJ...he had endured enough educational "adventures" for one week, poor kid. :)

along the way I learned a few things. First, digital cameras do things to people. All the sudden my fear is not taking too few pictures, it's having the time to get all the ones I want. I returned with 234 pictures of the week and 3 sets of dead batteries. Another thing I learned is that I have an obcession with barns. Not the kind you would want to put things in...the old kind that have peeling paint and a whole bunch of hay in front of them, and a sagging roof, and a cow or two out front. I have no idea where this came from but Pennsylvania has the best ones. I took many pictures. I also learned that I stink at shuffleboard, but that wasn't really a surprise.

Anyway, now we're back, and after a day of recovery and a great night of mt. zion fire works last night I am more than ready to enjoy the day and celebrate the great things our country stands for. I love fireworks...especially the weeping willow ones that boom really loud. I like the ones you can feel. I like the shimering, popping, crackling sounds. I like the celebration of victory...not in absence of trouble and conflict but in spite of it. So enjoy...light those sparklers and wave them...sing the national anthem with gusto...and praise God for preserving this nation and what it stands for.

and remember: the best fireworks are the "little bitty tiny ones!!" :)
Blessings and peace-

No comments: